Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Everyone needs a Spencer!


While Spencer was gone visiting his Dad this weekend I realized just how much the little guy brightens my day each day. I miss him like crazy when he's gone and just wanted to share 2 stories about him that make me laugh everytime I think about them.


A Little Bribing Can't Hurt


A Few weeks ago Spencer came home from school talking about how all the kids in his class had liked the candy that he had brought them and that he would hopefully now get to sit on the stage with the principal at lunchtime . I hadn't given him any candy to bring to his classmates and had no idea what the lunchtime thing meant, so I was really confused and thought he meant that he wanted to bring candy in the next day. As most of you know, Spencer has an auditory processing disorder and as such takes longer than most to relay his thoughts in a conversation. After much prodding and going back and forth, this is what I found out.

Early in that week his teacher had told the class about the " Lunch with the Principal " program. Which if i understand it right is actually a reward rather than a punishment ( I don't know about you but having to eat with the principal was never a good thing when I was growing up). Be that as it may, I guess in order to eat with the principal you have to be nominated by your class and the way to be nominated is to do nice things and be a good example.
So Spencer got up the next morning a man on a mission. He scoured the pantry, found what he wanted to bring, counted out 20 some odd pieces and so nicely handed them out to all of his classmates once at school. This would have been fine if only he had asked me first and hadn't brought the hershey kisses that were in a jar at the back of the pantry from TWO Christmases ago!!!!!! (don't judge me, I forgot they were even back there!) Luckily they were the cherry cordial kind and are so packed full of preservatives that I'm sure they would last longer than I will, but I was still mortified. To add to my embarrassment Spencer had very thoughtfully brought one for his teacher as well. That's my boy! He swears up and down that they were good and that everyone liked them and that now he was gonna get to eat with the principal. I couldn't be mad at him because how sweet is that?! I did tell him though that next time he needed to ask me first so that I could give him good candy to bring. But just in case..I'd steer clear of any candy that Spencer tries to offer you! It just might be the candy that Blake and I had at our wedding, I'm sure there's some of that still lying around somewhere!


"Your Mama" Jokes.. apparently they never go out of style!


Spencer came home last week with big crocodile tears in his eyes. When I asked him what was wrong he cried "Mom, someone on the bus said you were fat!! *sob sob sob* and ugly too! *more tears*". I couldn't help but smile, but quickly tried to hide it and asked "Who was it?". He said he didn't know his name, it was just some mean boy on his bus. I told him that I'm sure the boy doesn't even know me and that he was just saying that to be mean. (or atleast I hoped so because otherwise I'm gonna get a complex) Out of curiosity I asked him what he said in return and he said "The same thing..I called his mom fat too!" Well, he may not be very original but atleast he'll stand up for his Mom!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Awww! What a cutie! IT's a good thing we've got Maddie to keep him out of trouble on the bus now. P.S. Your mom goes to college. :)

Charlene Roberts said...

I adore Spencer so much. Did you ever read my Aunt Char's Camp Booty blog entry? That is a funny Spencer story too.

joeandjill said...

Awww!! Cute Spencer, he is really a sweet boy!! I loved the hershey kiss story, and that he totally stood up for his mom!! What a great kid.